Tuesday, January 27, 2009

boo recommends 3.


sexy people
Pictures of people from previous decades are almost as funny to me as videos of people falling down. "sexy people" finds a place on my list because unlike people falling down, the only victim on display is pride.

asking for help
It's taken me a while to learn this one, but sometimes it's better to request assistance than to do foolish things like: scale the shelves at the grocery store to grab something out of reach or apply for jobs on the same job boards that everybody else uses without first talking to people you know who can personally deliver your resume to their bosses. I won't go into a treatise on altruism here; I'll just say that people seem to like to help even if I don't often seem to like to accept it.

chard
The John C. Reilly of cruciferous vegetables, chard falls between its better-known siblings, spinach and beets. Like Reilly, chard often plays a supporting role to starring ingredients such as tofu or exotic miniature chickens. Unlike Reilly, it comes in a variety of colors.

caffeinated punctuation
Now that I'm unemployed, I choose to demarcate my time with coffee -- my morning is em dash trips to the french press, my afternoon is a hazy ellipsis of slow sips on lukewarm cups at one coffeeshop or another.

dear old love
bite-sized catharsis.

1 comment:

Drew said...

Chard. In my family, chard--specifically the Swiss variety--plays second fiddle to neither spinach nor beets. As I child my mother would cook Swiss chard regularly (especially in the summer because we grew it in our garden). It is delicious, especially when sprinkled with vinegar. Whenever I'm cooking a traditional southern meal that normally requires collards, I usually substitute chard. It takes less time to cook and I think it tastes better.

Unfortunately, spinach, beet greens, and chard are all very high in calcium oxalate, which can increase the risk of kidney stones. Alas!

Blog more, Boo.