Thursday, February 7, 2008

boo recommends.

I'm totally aping this idea from McSweeney's, but I think every once in a while I'm going to create a list of recommendations, i.e., things I stumble on and/or have loved long enough to calcify into my daily routine. Perhaps you will find these recommendations helpful, or perhaps you will simply find them fodder for your ongoing campaign to tease me into silence. Either way, I hope you enjoy.


Pre-cubed Tofu
It bears more than a striking resemblance to a foam pit but it saves time. An added bonus: for some reason, tofu in pre-cubed form seems to absorb less of the packaging water which means you don't have to press it before you use it.

Said the Gramophone
Music blogs rarely inspire me. This one does on nearly a daily basis. Things I'm inspired to do: purchase music. listen to music. fall in love. write. walk through a blizzard. try harder.

Red/green felt tip pens
Last semester I was in the CVS pen aisle when I found these old school beauties. What do they grant me? The freedom to mark significant passages and take notes in my school reading without having to use a highlighter (which I hate). Two functions in one! The spork of the writing instrument world.

Scrabulous
Surely many of you are already hep to the beauty of this Facebook application, a.k.a., the only reason I visit Facebook more than once a month. This unassuming game can take many forms: procrastination tool, olive branch, harmless flirting mechanism, acceptably modest forum for above-average vocabulary. As far as I can tell, its only negatives are that it allows ridiculous two-letter words ("ne"? "da"?) and it doesn't automatically kick me out even after I've spent 45 minutes trying to figure out a 6-letter word that ends in "J."

Sisters

If at all possible, try to make yours a twin. But in the event you were conceived at two different times, then aim for yours to be witty and intuitive. Even better if she can call you on your shit when you need it most.

Creative wrapping paper
The wrapping paper industry makes no sense to me. Why would I spend $7 on a roll of pretty paper that will soon lose its cohesive luster? Instead, I try to re-use wrappy things I already own: old magazines, rags, W-2 tax forms, shower curtains (not clear!).